The ideal accompaniment to Spring and our newly-released Unwooded Chardonnay 2015…
Serves: 4 – 6
For the citrus vinaigrette:
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- ½ a tablespoon of grated onion
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 80 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 45 ml freshly squeezed lime juice
- 30 ml honey
- 1 small teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- A good few grinds of black pepper
Place all the ingredients in a tightly sealed jar and shake, shake, shake! You can store this in the fridge for a while or use immediately. Just shake before using.
For the salad:
- 125 grams of sliced almond (roasted)
- 2 peeled and thinly sliced pears (length-ways)
- 1 romaine heart, roughly chopped
- 1 cucumber, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1 or 2 ripe avocado, cut into cubes
- 15 basil leaves, torn
- 1/3 cup torn fresh dill fronds
We’re guessing you don’t need instructions on how to throw this salad together, but in case you’ve never roasted sliced almonds before: Preheat the oven to 180°C. Then spread almonds in a single layer on baking tray. Bake for 3-4 minutes, shaking the tray half way to avoid burning any almonds. Once the almonds have turned light brown, remove from oven and immediately pour onto a plate or platter where they can cool in a single layer.
Once cooled, sprinkle on top of your salad, drizzle on the desired amount of vinaigrette, crack open a bottle of Unwooded Chardonnay and enjoy!