Inspired by our very own Muscat (made from the only red hanepoot grapes in our valley, and the 2nd oldest in the country), here’s a fresh take on an age-old favourite, Rum & Raisin Ice Cream. Our version is as easy to make as it is tasty… requiring no fancy ice cream makers or unnecessary stirs along the way. Enjoy!
- 4 free-range eggs separated
- 100g castor sugar
- 300ml double cream
- 100g raisins, soaked in 75ml of Uitsig’s Muscat for 2 hours
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- Slowly whisk in the castor sugar, then continue to whisk until the egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- Whisk the cream in a separate bowl until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- Fold the cream, egg yolks and Muscat-soaked raisins into the meringue mixture until well combined. Try not to over-stir though.
- Pour into a plastic container and freeze for at least two hours.